Thursday, September 9, 2010

Welcome to California

Today is September ninth in California. Since I crossed the international date line, I arrived at San Francisco Airport(SFO) on the same day I flied to Korea to transfer to another plane bound for SFO. Rwight now it is 18:15, and later I would have to feed myself for dinner. (In Taiwan, it is 9:15 now.)

9/9 seems a long long day to me, from the teary(or not) airport farewell in Taiwan to now settling down in Davis, U.S. This time, I am going to be away from home for ten months.


At Taoyung International Airport, deep down I knew I would have to travel alone and I am going to miss my family and friends in Taiwan. I am undaunted by my solo trip to the U.S., yet saddened by the mere thought of not seeing my family. By the time I waved good-bye to my sister and her boyfriend, I got a little bit teary-eyed, though trying hard to be strong. Then, lining up at the immigration counter, I called my mom to say good-bye, which was really hard for me. I was almost mute when I heard my mom's voice on the other end. I said I was going to go aboard, and then said only "goodbye" even though she was asking other questions. Hearing no response from me and perhaps a catch in my voice, she told me to take care of myself. Then from that comes a hint of tears in my eyes, and more...... But all my surging emotion subsided when I was going through immigraion and customs.

At 7.45, the plan took off to Korea and landed at 11.25(or so). Though I booked Korean Air ticket, I took the airplane from China Airline; maybe they have some sort of partnership. Anyway, I stayed at Incheon International Airport for 5 hours, during which I wandered around and enjoyed the facility and beauty it offered. Not surprisingly, it is one of the greatest Airport in the world. Still, all those five hours were also spent on reading newspapers and magazines.

Next, I took another plane, which was literally from Korean Air, heading for SFO. There are fine food, drinks, and a service that leaves nothing to be desire.However, I didn't sleep well on the plane, as I felt pain in my thigh from sitting too long. Worse still, I had a cup of red wine, followed by a cup of tea, and this had me through the agony and caused me dizziness. I really had been a tormenting moment for me. Nevertheless, I arrived at California safe and sound and had met one of my housemates from Pakistan, who seems to be nice and friendly.

Tomorrow, I am going to buy a bed, a desk, and other furniture, hoping to spruce my room up so that I can live in a good place for ten months.

PS: I'll post some pictures tmr.

No comments:

Post a Comment