Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My First Yoga Class


  GX Studio
The long-anticipated (at least to me) yoga class has finally arrived today. Since yoga tied in well with our ESL syllabus- health and healing techniques, Dennis, my teacher, decided to take the class to the ARC(gym) to get a sense of what yoga was like. The tuition for a class was $20 or so, thus divide by 6 students and 1 teacher, it would be about 3 dollar per person, which was ok. But it would be a lot less if more students showed up that day. Anyway, we were taught some basic yoga moves and poses by a student and yoga instructor, possibly and understandably of Indian descent.


     We got ourselves a yoga mat, and started with balancing on one foot. I thought it's gonna be easy, but the exact opposite seemed to be true. I found myself uncontrollably put my foot down in fear of falling down. About 10 mins into the class, we began doing the pigeon pose, baby pose, happy baby pose, etc. The happy pose woul be my favorie pose.  I like rocking back and forth, which gave me joy and helped me to wind down. In the end, we wiped the mats and put them away.

    It was an hour long only. I watched and listened to the instructor, and learned to get myself into different positions with proper breathing. What I found in the end was that yoga and Taichi shares the focus on inhale and exhale while moving aournd, and they both help us relieve stress and meditate. Also, I really got refreshed after all this. It was really a complete workout of the mind and body.

    I don't know when is going to be the next Yoga class though.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, breathing is a primary factor in yoga since it’s a form of mediation. With proper breathing, you’ll be able to relax and connect with your inner self. You’ll also be able to focus more on the poses, and the initial pain will lessen. Anyway, were you able to continue your yoga classes?

    Regards,
    Nicolas Ervin

    ReplyDelete